In these times, when mobile and internet have become the centre of our daily routine. We see ads of businesses and people all day. Why do you see them? How do those businesses use the internet to get benefitted? How can you expand your business and take it to the next level?
The answer to all these questions is Digital marketing.
From the results of your google search to the ads you see on YouTube. Everything is Digital Marketing.
Digital marketing, in simple words, is marketing through the Digital Mode.
Digital marketing is an essential for every business to grow and expand. While it can introduce you to potential customers sitting thousands of kilometres away, it also helps you sustain your existing customers.
So let’s meet Sally. She owns a clothing store and has already set up a shop. After her business is established, she thinks of taking it to the next level by going digital.
She makes a website and social media accounts, but has no idea how to get people to view her website and her social media accounts.
This is where digital marketing comes into the picture, to get people to know about your business website, social media handles etc.
There are two ways in which Sally can get new customers:
- By optimizing her content which is called the ‘organic’ way of digital marketing. This is often referred to as Search engine optimization (SEO).
SEO – Search Engine Optimization for Online Marketing Concept. Modern graphic interface showing symbol of keyword research website promotion by optimize customer searching and analyse market strategy.
Ahrefs-Is an SEO tool that crawls the web, stores tons of data and easily accessible.
MOZ Pro-Is a source of robust, reliable data with accessible training.
- By running ads on various social media platforms or on search engines. This is called the ‘inorganic’ way and is also called as Search engine marketing (SEM).
SEM Search Engine Marketing, banner or ads in search result page to drive traffic to website concept, paper note written the word SEM pin with thumbtack or pushpin on pin board with other keywords.
We can choose SEO by optimizing our content and making it rank top on google searches. We can also use SEO and make her social media content visible to more and more people organically.
While SEO or getting your content on top of everybody else’s content ‘organically’ might be difficult and time consuming especially when one doesn’t have much knowledge and hands on experience on the same, SEM comes to the rescue.
Search engine marketing (SEM) is getting your content or website on top by running ads for some amount. SEM also includes Email marketing, in which people are sent emails ( the emails can also be personalized).
Read Also: What is Share Market?
Read Also :How to make money from share market
SEARCH ENGINE MARKETING TOOLS
- GOOGLE ADS
How to grow organically through Search engine optimization?
To increase the ‘traffic’ viz the number of visitors on the website and social media handles, one can look for and add relevant keywords (they are the words that a person types in the search bar of the search engine) to make the content rank top.
Backlinks, relevant keywords, including attractive images and comprehensive videos can make you rank on top.
Making the website user friendly by giving them all the information they require on the website increases the chances of a visitor getting converted into a customer.
Sharing the previous works, portfolio, etc. build trust in trust and can often get you more clients or customers. Getting the business in local listings, sharing the location, phone number will help more people find you and your business.
How to grow inorganically or through Search engine marketing ?
- You can bid to rank top on a keyword on a search engine. The amount will be based on the concept of pay per click. Every time someone clicks on your website through an ad, you will have to pay some amount. The two lines displayed on the screen when the ad displayed should make the point and attract the user to your business.
- You can show ads to targeted audiences on various social media handles.
- Sending emails to potential customers can be another way.
- Display advertising
– The ads that show up on google searches or in blogs.
- Video advertising : ads visible on google.
Choosing relevant keywords to show up using the keyword planner is another hack for SEM.
Sally uses all the above mentioned hacks, grows her business and notes the following advantages or pros of digital marketing.
SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING TOOLS
- Youscan-Is an Al powered social media intelligence platform with leading image recognition capabilities.
- Paladin Software-Is an essential influencer marketing platform for creator network.
- Measure Studio-Is a social media analytics tool that benchmarks content performance across Instagram, etc.
Advantages (Benefits) of Digital marketing
- Making new customers.
- Sustaining the existing customers.
- Increased goodwill and brand value.
- Engaging more with customers and a better understanding of their choices.
- Quick redressal of consumer grievances.
- Customer friendly and convenient.
- Cost effective way of marketing
- Targeting the people
- Making the business visible when the customer needs it.
- Meeting the customers’ needs better and increased consumer convenience.
- Helps build trust in new customers through the display of old customers feedback and by showing your expertise and experience in that field
Well, if Sally can grow her business through digital marketing. You can too. So go digital right now and grow your business!
Disadvantages of digital marketing
Some of the downsides and challenges of digital marketing you should be aware of include:
- Skills and training – You will need to ensure that your staff have the right knowledge and expertise to carry out digital marketing with success. Tools, platforms and trends change rapidly and it’s vital that you keep up-to-date.
- Time consuming – tasks such as optimising online advertising campaigns and creating marketing content can take up a lot of time. It’s important to measure your results to ensure a return-on-investment.
- High competition – while you can reach a global audience with digital marketing, you are also up against global competition. It can be a challenge to stand out against competitors and to grab attention among the many messages aimed at consumers online.
- Complaints and feedback – any negative feedback or criticism of your brand is can be visible to your audience through social media and review websites. Carrying out effective customer service online can be challenging. Negative comments or failure to respond effectively can damage your brand reputation.
- Security and privacy issues – there are a number of legal considerations around collecting and using customer data for digital marketing purposes. Take care to comply with the rules regarding privacy and data protection.