DIGITAL MARKETING – INTRODUCTION
Digital marketing is the marketing strategy that utilizes internet and online based digital technologies such as desktop, laptop, android phones and other digital media and social media platforms to promote products and services and to reach targeted (maximum) audiences.
For example, advertising mediums that might be used as part of the digital marketing strategy of a business could include promotional efforts made via the Internet, social media such as Facebook, twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, WhatsApp, E-mail etc. mobile phones and electronic billboards, as well as via digital and television and radio channels.
Marketing is and always has been essential to be able to connect with current and potential audience, in a way that suits their changing tastes and preferences.
The world becoming increasingly digital, calls for transformation in one of the most fundamental areas of business: Marketing.
This is where the genesis of Digital Marketing lies, as one of the most complex yet fascinating tools for business organizations. Digital marketing, in a very basic sense, refers to any marketing of products or services that takes place on the internet, in other words, “online”.
Read Also: Types of Digital Marketing
The concepts, ideas, principles and strategies of marketing, when applied digitally, sums to be Digital Marketing.
For this reason, businesses may use multiple channels like search engines, social media, email, websites, and other online channels. People who specialize in this form of marketing are called Digital Marketers.
These are people involved in analysing and utilizing all available media to effectively create brand awareness or generate leads for a business.
In today’s day and age, investment in digital marketing is no longer an option. Irrespective of the size, form, strength or sector of an organization, digital marketing is an indispensable tool.
Although general strategies of digital marketing can be used for survival of a business, in the long term, it must deploy specialized forms in order to thrive in the market.
Digital Marketing consists primarily of three areas: Market, Message and Media.
Market is the target audience for the advertiser, and can be filtered/ narrowed down based on several factors, like, their interests, location, age, sex, marital status, likes and dislikes.
Message is the concept or information that the business intends to convey. In order to be effective, the message must be as precise and relevant to the target audience as possible.
Media is an equally important aspect, in that, it literally is the driver of the success of any campaign.
In order for a campaign to generate quality leads for a business, or create an impression in the minds of consumers, all the three aspects must be carefully planned and executed.
There are several benefits that this form of marketing offers. Ease of operation, nuanced targeting, faster response time from customers, and the convenience of doing all of this, out of the comfort of one’s own home.
These advantages are a win-win for all stakeholders.
Purpose Of Digital Marketing
Like any form of marketing, the purpose of digital marketing is to promote and sell a product or service. More specifically, the purpose of digital marketing is to connect a business or organization with its target audience via digital channels.
Digital Marketing also helps us to start our own business, start up and many more.
Nowadays many dancers, singers, actors, musicians, photographers, and trekkers start their Instagram or make content in their respective fields and share it on Digital platforms so that people can get benefits out of it and everyone can learn new things and they also can earn with following their passion.
This clearly shows that everybody can follow their passion and earn also by doing it.
It’s the Digital era where everyone can chase their dreams using Digital Marketing. Digital marketing consists of different new things such as graphic design, video editing, Content curation, Communication etc.
If someone wants to grow business digitally he/she needs to learn digital skills or else he/can hire someone for it.
Advantages of digital marketing over traditional marketing
- Precise targeting
- Real time optimisation
- Build engagement
- Personalised communication
- Cost effective
- Higher ROI
Let’s see in detail
- Precise targeting:- Those people who did the advertisement of digital marketing gives the permission to complete the target with their gender, age, subject, keywords, websites, city, pin code, interest etc. Compared to traditional marketing, digital marketing is easy.
- Real Time Optimisation:- In digital marketing if one strategy is not working then we can move on to another one but in traditional marketing once the advertising is created we can’t interfere in it.
- Measurable:- We can measure the result of digital marketing. How many people visited our sites? How many people like our page? How many people are searching our advertisement? How much time do they spend on our website? All these we can know in digital marketing. But in traditional marketing this all is not possible.
- Build engagement:- In digital marketing brands should be connected with the customer by social media and internet. Brands should help customers for their shopping by knowing their interest in products. In traditional marketing we can’t do that.
- Personalised communication:- The main advantage of digital marketing is we can contact the customer in various ways. Customers need help shopping. By personalised communication we can force them to buy our products.
- Cost effective:- Digital marketing is less expensive than traditional marketing. You can start with any number of budgets. We can reach more customers on a low budget.
- Higher ROI (Return On Investment): As compared to traditional marketing , digital marketing has a high return on investment. In digital marketing we can show our advertisement only to a limited number of people so costs are low.
Social Media Marketing Social Media Marketing (SMM) is also a part of Digital Marketing. In social Media marketing we use social media platforms for marketing. Example of Social Media marketing:-
Email Marketing is one of the important parts of Digital Marketing. Email marketing is a big part of direct marketing and here e-mail is used to reach a potential customer.
These emails may be information about promotions, product or service information, or service changes.
Email marketing is a good marketing medium because it allows you to talk to potential customers directly.
You can engage customers with email marketing, and at the same time force the customer to connect with your brand. Email Marketing saves time and money.
Examples of how Digital Marketing is taking over Traditional Marketing
1. Auto Dealerships Every person is unique, and so are the cars they choose to drive. For that reason, many automakers, and especially local dealerships, are spending less and less on traditional media, and more and more on digital marketing.
All of that can be taken care of before the customer even arrives, by the dealership tailoring ads or car-buying experience to each potential customer’s taste, which, in turn, drives up sales.
2. Moving Companies Even if you believe your service standard or your skilled moving crew sets your moving company apart, at the end of the day, most customers just want to find a decent mover at a reasonable price.
Most people looking to hire a mover will simply hop online, type moving company in the search bar, and hit find.
They might call around to the first few companies, but as soon as they locate one with the right hourly rate, they’ll book a move.
This means that if your company isn’t on the first couple pages of Google results, then your phone probably isn’t ringing as much as it could. It’s definitely time for an SEO game plan.
3. LEAD GENERATION FOR REAL Real estate would be the leading one where you can easily find of owning a house in particular area and so the marketing strategy is required.
Real estate will easily get customers through marketing their scheme. Hence, Digital Marketing is anytime convenient and preferable than Traditional Marketing.
What is Traditional Marketing?
Traditional marketing refers to any type of marketing that isn’t online. This means print, broadcast, direct mail, phone, and outdoor advertising like billboards.
From newspapers to radio, this method of marketing helps reach targeted audiences.
Traditional marketing is not only one of the oldest forms of marketing, but also one of the most researched. Marketers lean towards this method because it’s tried and true.
Everyone encounters some sort of traditional marketing in their everyday lives, whether it’s getting the mail or your daily newspaper.
Traditional marketing plays an important part in reaching local audiences. Ads can be kept for a long period of time, if they’re physical.
Plus, there’s an audience who’s easier to reach through traditional marketing than online marketing.
Traditional Marketing vs. Digital Marketing
Traditional marketing is an approach in which marketers identify their audience and place ads where their audience will see, hear, or interact with them offline, such as print ads, billboards, or television advertisements.
Digital marketing is facilitated online and uses paid or organic ads on social media or search engines, as well as email marketing, influencer marketing, and video marketing, to name a few.
There are a few disadvantages to traditional marketing.
First, businesses have little to no interaction with the consumers they are selling their products to in real time.
You can’t Twitter DM a Macy’s ad to ask if the grey duvet covers will be available in your store.
Some marketers also see traditional marketing as unreliable.
You can’t edit a print ad once it’s out. So, if you recorded the wrong percentage discount on that sale radio ad you recorded, you can’t change it.