The impact and influence of social media can be very influential on society in both positive and negative ways.
It gives people a way to stay in touch with people who live far away.
Social media lets people share fun, interesting, and informative content.
Media and technology give businesses a way to engage with customers.
But all of this has its own Pros and Cons.
But why is Social Media such a big problem?- Influence Of Social Media
- One of the problems, however, is that anybody can share anything, including material that may not be accurate.
- In some cases, real harm is done when people spread inflammatory, unverified, or outright false information.
- This can harm private individuals, as when someone is bullied online.
- It can also have a harmful impact on society as a whole.
Now we know that sharing anything on social media can be harmful to individuals as well as a society but have you ever thought about why do people share information.
Let’s dig into this now.
Why do people share information?
- A desire to reveal valuable and entertaining content to others; to define themselves; to grow and nourish relationships and to get the word out about brands and causes they like or support.
- For keeping in touch with friends and family to being used in ways that have a real impact on society.
- Social media is being used in ways that shape politics, business, world culture, education, careers, innovation, and more.
- Increased visibility of issues has shifted the balance of power from the hands of a few to the masses.
Read Also: Types of Digital Marketing
What is Slacktivism?
Social media is slowly killing real activism and replacing it with ‘slacktivism’
Slacktivism means showing your support for a political or social cause by means like social media, showing your efforts/commitments through online petitions.
For example – when people sign the online petition for any cause.
The positive impact of Social Media
- Social media only continues to grow as a form of communication and entertainment, meaning social platforms get more powerful as their memberships rise. Due to this, social media impacts society in many ways.
- Generating visibility around social, ethical, environmental, and political views or issues.
- Spreading educational material quickly and efficiently
- Providing companies with new marketing opportunities.
- Creating new channels that companies can use to find, recruit and hire new employees.
- Increasing the number of social contacts of groups and individuals.
- Producing new jobs associated with social media networks and consulting.
- Allowing a platform for group discussion and opinion sharing.
Social media has both positive and negative impacts. It leads to slacktivism as well as other many challenges like:
- Cyber bullying
- Insecurity about your life
- Isolating yourself
- FOMO (fear of missing out)
- Anxiety and depression
The bottom line
- It’s been said that information is power.
- Without a means of distributing information, people cannot harness the power.
- One positive impact of social media is in the distribution of information in today’s world.
- Platforms such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and others have made it possible to access information at the click of a button.
From the above facts, we know that social media is very necessary for today’s world where people want to share information sitting at their location whenever. There are some interesting facts about social networking that would make you believe in the power of social media.
Fun Facts About Social Networking
- There are overall 2.3 Billion worldwide active social media users.
- 91% of large corporate brands have two or more social media platforms.
- 65% of all individuals feel uncomfortable and uneasy when they are unable to gain access to their social media profiles.
This is the power of social media and that’s why we also can’t ignore media totally but knowing already about its negative impact on our mental health we can reduce the usage of it that means not spending time on social media unnecessarily.
Doing most of the things online can save your time but it would damage your skills.
Today’s generation is connected with each other digitally, but they have less human contact which impacts the mental health of especially teenagers who are always on the screen.
- Overall, in terms of the relationship between screen use and both physical and mental health outcomes, there have been several studies that suggest higher levels of screen use in children and adolescents is associated with reduced physical activity, increased risk of depression, and lower well-being.
- Since it’s a relatively new technology, there’s little research to establish the long-term consequences, good or bad, of social media use. However, multiple studies have found a strong link between heavy social media and an increased risk for depression, anxiety, loneliness, self-harm, and even suicidal thoughts.
- And as digital natives, young people are increasingly turning to technology as the logical future realm of mental health care, harnessing machines to help manage their psychological well-being. Technology is already transforming mental health faster than anyone expected.
Don’t let social media and technology harm you mentally, instead use this source for enhancing your knowledge and skills.
Spend more time with real-world friends than on social media, don’t start comparing your life with others life on social networks-that is not real!!
Save your time for yourself, do an activity like self-reflection, don’t feel distracted every time.
Technology is good but doesn’t let it affect your mental health.
What are your views?
- A plurality of experts says digital life will continue to expand people’s boundaries and opportunities in the coming decade and that the world to come will produce more help than harm in people’s lives.
- Still, nearly a third think that digital life will be most harmful to people’s health, mental fitness, and happiness.
- Most say there are solutions…